Sunday, September 9, 2012

Ray-tracer Experiment


I was experimenting in PyGame, and I created a simple raytracer based off of this video. I'm glad how it looks, although I wan't to test it out in GLSL to see if I can create a real-time ray-tracing engine. The ultimate goal is to be able to render non-euclidean space interactively - something not possible with rasterization. The end result would ideally be something like this.

In the same way that Fez and Portal challenge notions of space, It would be cool to have a game that takes place in R'lyeh - described in The Call of Cthulhu as non-euclidean and alien in nature. What would it actually be like to explore the resting place of Cthulhu? With computers, its actually possible to visualize and experience what Lovecraft described as "all wrong."

I also made a quick fractal test. It never ceases to amaze me how something so intricate could arise from a few simple rule definitions.

Update

I was able to create a real-time ray-tracing demo with GLSL - it runs surprisingly well. Next up, I need to figure out how meshes are going to be loaded and rendered, and how the game will be structured.

1 comment:

  1. Never mind. It looks like due to college apps, this project is going onto indefinite hold - just like every single other project I've started.

    ReplyDelete